Wednesday, September 22, 2010

POEM 1: I REMEMBER BEING INNOCENT

I Remember Being Innocent
By: T.Duran-Olds


Rosy in cheek, and hair so fair
Enter a room, and let’s compare
Was I
Purity’s muse but pushing its boundaries?
Or more like
Cloroxed, Absolved, Bleached
More than chaste and cleaner than laundry
Now
You
Are
Gone
Away
Innocence corrupted
    Seeping
                                                                               out as I learned to play doctor that day
The story goes Eve ate from the tree of knowledge
Well call me Adam with Internet chat & the locker room college
No fig leaf can cover the nakedness of the exposed mind.
If corruption is the prison then I will do the time. 

I remember being innocent and as my tears attest sometimes quite well
As I’m removed from innocent’s comforting womb where now will I dwell?
My actions, so smug, and dangerously rebellious
I didn’t know what I was doing: young, supercilious, & careless
Innocence I meant you no harm
And it pains me to see you walk out the door
I have truly lost the battle and I’m to battered for the war

No comments:

Post a Comment